DANA'S MINDFUL MINUTE: SPRING MOTIVATION AND HOW TO TAKE ADVANTAGE
posted: Apr. 14, 2023.
INSPIRATION THIS WEEK: SPRING HAS SPRUNG!
I've been living in FL and have been happy to call it my home the last 5 years. But I am originally from rural PA. And while I am currently staying in NC, I was reminded of something that doesn't happen in FL...seasons (IYKYK haha)! I moved to the Sunshine State to get away from the snow and the cold, but there is something to be missed about that Spring energy that comes about this time of year...
The weather is starting to warm up, the snow is melting, the flowers are blooming, the Robins are making their appearances. And as Bambi might say, "it's twitterpating season!" Spring tends to be a symbol of hope, new growth, and rebirth.
And for those of us (current and former) northerners it is a mind and body shift as well. We are crawling out of the caves of winter blues and getting a rush of renewed energy and hope for what is to come.
THEME OF THE WEEK: GET INSPIRED
I've previously written about my thoughts regarding the trap of "New Year's Resolutions" and I'll expand on that with my new reflections. Another reason I believe those resolutions can be a road to disappointment is the timing of it. We are just coming out of the holiday rush and trying to decompress from what happened there, only to be launched with this new pressure to perform and create a "new year, new me." AND if you are in colder climates, being depleted of Vitamin D and less opportunity for movement and connection outside your cozy home space.
We should be taking a page from the bears' book and embrace that "hibernation period." Instead of jumping in to that next project, that should have been a time for us to rest, pause and reflect, and give ourselves some much needed grace. And when we have given ourselves enough compassion to rest and recharge, we can take full advantage of this burst of energy and hope.
I think NOW is the time for you to take a moment and evaluate where you are and think about where you'd like to be. So here are a few suggestions of things you can do to ignite some growth and hope:
- Stop and Smell The Roses...Literally! - Take a moment for pause and meditation and observe what is around you. Meditate. Take a nature walk. Sit in the sunshine. We sometimes get too caught up in the motions, that we forget to just observe the beauty of what is happening all around us.
- Reflect- Take this time to make sure you are honoring the progress you have already made towards whatever you're working on. Instead of focusing on the track ahead of you, look back and give yourself credit for how far you've already come!
- Evaluate- Okay, now that we have appreciated where we have come, what needs to be added or changed to get us one step closer to our goals? Be sure to do this piece without judgment, just stick to the facts.
- Change Something or Try Something New- Remember that Spring means rebirth...what is something you can do that is different from what you are doing now? Your brain needs something different so that it can build new neural pathways and stretch the muscle.
- Plant Something and Watch It Grow- It can literally be a plant, but it can also be something metaphorical too...pay closer attention to your kids growing, teach someone something and watch the learning process, build on a skill of your own. This can be a great reminder to pay attention to the growth process rather than so focused on outcomes.
- PLAY!- We should not have to be so serious all of the time. Play hookie and go on a picnic. Go sing karaoke. Dance. Do something that connects with that inner child because we need their level of bright-eyed and bushy-tailed energy!
CHALLENGE THIS WEEK: RECHARGE AND RESET
Have you noticed the change within yourself as Spring is here? Great! So take advantage of that shift and do the steps above. Haven't noticed anything? Don't worry, these steps will also allow you to find that shift that I bet happened. Go ahead, I gave you permission. It'll be good for you in whatever you're working towards :).
You can sign up below to receive weekly notifications of the newest blog posts!